Ever since I can remember wrapping my hair before I went to sleep was something I did growing up. In fact, all of the women in my family wrapped their hair before they went to sleep at night. For those who may not be familiar with this beauty routine, “wrapping your hair” with a bonnet or headscarf is used to not only protect your hair style but also to maintain the health of your hair.
But what about sleeping with a silk pillowcase? Is using a silk pillowcase better for the health of your hair and skin? And what makes silk better than using a satin bonnet, headscarf or even pillow?
Here are a few reasons why silk may be the best natural choice to help you reach your beauty goals.
I started using a 100% silk pillowcase about 3 years ago. My skin type is dry and I have thinly textured hair so keeping the moisture in my hair and skin is my main priority when it comes to my beauty routine. I heard silk carried some great natural beauty benefits and thought I’d give it a try. And now it’s a staple for my hair and skincare routine. I won’t go a night without one!
100% mulberry silk pillowcases are a great option for you if you were like me and are frustrated with dry hair and skin and want to get an overnight beauty boost. It helps smooth skin and hydrate hair with it’s all natural, silky and strong material. The silky surface helps cut down on hair breakage and split ends. The pillowcase causes less friction between your skin and the fabric. Less friction leads to less frizz and split ends. Which leads to healthier looking hair. Booyah!
But why choose silk over satin or even cotton fabric?
First, it is the most natural fiber you can use to provide softness and moisture to your hair.
Silk pillowcases Vs Satin or Cotton:
- made from a non-manmade fabric. Silk is spun from the natural silk protein (unlike satin, which is polyester). Satin which is essentially a fabric created from oil and has the same chemical composition as plastic bottles.
- Cotton tugs on skin and grabs hair. Cotton is very absorbent. It can hold up to 27 times its own weight in water and it draws moisture away from your skin and hair.
- It’s a hypoallergenic material that fights bacteria and is dust mite resistant. You get cleaner skin while you sleep.
- Silk also adjusts to your body temperature. Natural silk is a very good thermal insulator, helping you to stay cooler during the summer months and warmer during the winter months, which supports healthy skin.
- It allows your skin to breathe, unlike polyester which is a synthetic material that sweats.
- Silk is naturally resistant to mold, mildew, and fungus.
- Silk pillowcases are also 100% sustainable and more earth friendly than other fabrics.
- It’s recommended by professionals from dermatologists to beauty experts.
- No matter your hair type and skin type silk protects and keeps your hair and skin soft by retaining moisture.
You can find out more about silk here.
My frustration with my dry hair and skin along with having an easy protective styling option has ended since using a silk pillowcase. The silky surface helps cut down on my hair breakage.
I’ve noticed a difference in the luster and radiance of my hair and skin since switching to a silk pillowcase. I also can wear a headwrap and not have to worry about it coming off in the middle of the night because my silk pillowcase will keep my hair from sweating out or getting frizzy. Leading me to sleep better and get the most out of my beauty sleep.
There are a lot of pillowcase options on the market and some have very high price tags. But you won’t catch me spending $60-$100 on a pillowcase (I’m too frugal, don’t judge me). Don’t be fooled by high priced silk pillowcases. The important thing to keep in mind is your silk pillowcase should be 100% natural mulberry.
The price tag doesn’t make a difference to your hair the natural effect of the silk will. The most important thing is that you are using 100% mulberry silk. The natural fibers of the fabric will do all the work and overtime you’ll get naturally softer, healthier hair and skin that you’ve been wanting to wake up with.
I hope this information gives you a good idea of how silk pillowcases can be a great natural beauty product to use to enhance the health of your skin and hair.
You can find the exact pillowcase I use here or you can shop some others that are available on Amazon.
I have no doubt you’ll get the most out of your beauty sleep and wake up looking and feeling more naturally flawless than you did with a regular pillow case.
You can also follow our natural beauty journey or share great beauty tips and tricks with us on Instagram and Facebook.